Blocked drains can be a real nuisance to our day-to-day lives. They’re also not something that happens suddenly, which means you have the chance to stop them before they become a big issue.
Whether it’s being aware of the warning signs, to repairing the damage, blocked drains in Perth don’t have to ruin your day.
Read more from your blocked drain plumber, Fremantle Plumbing, for 9 tips to clear blocked drain.
Tip 1: Use a clothing hanger
While this may seem silly, this handy trick proves to be quite useful with most blocked drains.
Here’s how to do it:
- Acquire a metal clothing hanger,
- Straighten the wire out as much as possible,
- Create a small hook at one end, and
- Push the wire through the drain, fishing around for and removing the blockage cause.
Tip 2: Baking soda and vinegar
This is often an easy solution to blocked drains in Perth – and one using easily accessible, kitchen ingredients.
Here’s how to do it:
- Mix equal parts vinegar and baking soda together,
- Pour the mixture down the blocked drain, and
- Flush with hot water.
Tip 3: Baking soda, vinegar and gravity
If it’s your bathtub drain that’s blocked, the same solution as tip #2 will work, with a bath plug.
- Pour the baking soda and vinegar mixture down the drain,
- Place the bath plug in and fill the tub up with water,
- Leave for approximately an hour and then remove the plug.
The gravity will push the water down the drain and hopefully remove the residue that’s causing your drain blockage.
Tip 4: Baking soda and salt
Have no vinegar on hand? Never fear, you’ll probably have salt as an alternative.
- Mix half a cup of baking soda with an equal amount of salt,
- Pour the solution down the blocked drain, and
- After 20 minutes have passed, pour boiling water down the drain.
Tip 5: Wet and dry vacuum
If you have a wet and dry vacuum, this may be all that’s needed to get back to free-flowing drains.
Tip 6: Boiling water
Boiling water may alone may melt away your blocked drain Perth problems, and here’s how to do it:
- Boil a large kettle or pot of water,
- Pour the hot water down the blocked drain in three pours,
- Allow 5 or so seconds between each pour.
This is definitely one of the easiest and hassle-free ways to unclog a drain.
Tip 7: Caustic soda
Be sure to wear proper eye and hand protection (glasses and gloves) if attempting this fix.
Here’s how to do this:
- Mix three cups of caustic soda into a half-filled bucket of water.
- Pour into the problem drain,
- Allow to sit for half an hour, and then
- Flush it down with boiling water.
Tip 8: Dishwashing detergent
With all its grease-fighting properties, concentrated dishwashing detergent and water will hopefully wash away greasy residue from your pipes.
Remember to follow this process with boiling water.
Tip 9: Clean your pipes and call a Perth Plumber
Pipe cleaning may need the expertise of a good plumber in Perth and Fremantle.
When all else fails, or you would prefer the professional services of a Perth Plumber, Fremantle Plumbing will unblock your drains and resolve any plumbing problems you have.
Need help with a Perth blocked drain?
Contact Fremantle Plumbing, the blocked drain plumbers today to get your drains running smoothly again.